Across the globe, an estimated 27 million people are in slavery. Everyone’s story is unique. There are countless methods used to recruit victims, but here are 5 main ways people can be trafficked:
1. Misleading “Friendships” – Some recruiters befriend teens and adults for the sake of trafficking them. After they develop trust and a seemingly solid friendship, the recruiters initiate a weekend vacation or gig, only to deceive them into trafficking.
2. False Job Advertisements – Traffickers will advertise paying jobs (nanny, waitress, model, etc.) in a foreign country. When the applicants arrive and are picked up by their supposed boss, their paperwork is often taken and they are forced into work conditions vastly different than they had been led to believe.
3. Family Arrangements – In some cases, a family falls on financial hard times and is willing to sell a child for money. Parents are often promised their child will be taken care of and given a proper education. Sadly, the buyer rarely holds up to his or her part of the deal and the children or adolescents are resold into the trafficking industry.
4. Abductions – Many trafficked victims are kidnapped on their way to school, work, or home and later sold into slavery.
5. Sham Lover – Some women unknowingly marry a recruiter and are then sold by their husbands. Other women are pimped out by their boyfriends and forced or manipulated into commercial sex.
We believe education is a key component in abolishing slavery in the 21st century. Now that you know, who can YOU inform?